This is the personal website of Simon Vibert. The purpose of this website is to put together teaching and sermon resources which I have written/spoken for free download. They are no where near as vast, incisive or extensive as Simeon, but, they are modest resources for a modern age! My blog is linked with this site and includes comment on contemporary issues, my travel, Christian responses to the “The Shack”, Rob Bell, X Factor and Robbie Williams, Wycliffe Hall, thoughts on Preaching new post on recent challenges in Church of England Theological Training, please see: http://metamorphe.wordpress.com/ etc.
This site is intended to help you understand why I see Jesus as the greatest hope for this world and the next. This is spelled out in this simple booklet “Longing for Paradise” (if you would like a hard copy, please contact me using the form below). Sermon on this theme may be found here .
We preach, not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. (2 Corinthians 4:5). What a great verse! I love it because it does just what Charles Simeon longed to do whenever he entered the pulpit: “To humble the penitent, to exalt the Saviour and to promote holiness.” Simeon is best known for his long service in the University Church, Holy Trinity Cambridge. When he died in 1836, he had written 12,536 skeletal outlines of expository sermons preached from the Bible. If there was a secret to his ongoing influence among younger preachers, it was surely this life conviction about the purpose of preaching.
I spent 10 teachnig Homiletics (Preaching) and Leadership and was Vice Principal at Wycliffe Hall, an Evangelical theological college which is part of the University of Oxford. See “what tools should new preachers invest in“.
Since September 2017 I have been Vicar of Christ Church Virginia Water in Surrey, England (10 miles west of London’s Heathrow airport).
Christ Church is a vibrant, multi national, Anglican Church, which has benefited from good evangelical ministry of many decades. I have appreciated the opportunity to spend time getting to know the congregation (“tea with the vicar”) and being in the pulpit regularly expound God’s word.
Further details about the Church may be found here
Forthcoming book on the challenge to live as a Christian in the 21st Century entitled “The Perpetual Battle, against The World, the Flesh, and the Devil” – published March 2018.
- Till Death us do Part. The Solemnization of Matrimony in the Book of Common Prayer.Latimer Trust, 2014. See here for Latimer Trust
- The Path to Peace.IVP, 2014; reviews and purchase available UK here; USAhere; PowerPoint slides; Handout including Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale measurement of “Life Change Units”; web-broadcast here
- Sample Sermon (preached at St Leonard’s Eynsham, 20th Nov 2011) with audioand preacher’s notes to show working.
- John 18-19 at Adam Road Presbyterian Church in Singapore “Jesus Betrayed” and “From Doubt to Faith” in John 20:24-31
- Men’s Breakfast Talkon “21st Century Preaching – is preaching out of date?” at Christchurch Virginia Water.
- Our new Prospectus. Details of 2016 Preaching Conference “Preaching the Gospel of Grace”with Michael Horton, Simon Vibert and others.
Other books and related resources
Stress. The Path to Peace, IVP, published 2011
Audio interview with Scott Oakland.
Lives Jesus Changed, Christian Focus, published January 2010
Commendations from Jonathan Fletcher, Greg Scharf and Paul Wells.
4 talks on themes from John’s Gospel 1. Characters Make Stories 2. Disciples: Seeing Jesus’ Glory 3. Nicodemus: A Religious Conservative is Challenged 4. Woman of Samaria: A Questioning Woman is Transformed
4 short video interviews on John’s Gospel.
Published in Anvil Spring 2009 Lives Jesus Changed.
The Diamond Marriage, Christian Focus, published 2004.
Free 6-week course outline for running The Diamond Marriage
Other publications may be viewed here
Contact form or email